[tabi] FW: Action Alert: Your action is needed to save accessible textbook program

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:29:43 -0400

________________________________

From: Learning Ally, formerly RFB&D [mailto:jenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Learning Ally, formerly RFB&D
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:54 PM
Subject: Action Alert: Your action is needed to save accessible textbook
program

Learning Ally - Making reading accessible for all
<http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs021/1101553811939/img/591.png>

Advocates' Action Alert

May 17, 2011

Your immediate action is needed to help hundreds of thousands of students
with print disabilities.

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan is wavering on his commitment to hold a
competition to fund accessible educational materials and textbooks for the
hundreds of thousands of students who cannot use a standard textbook.

You need to e-mail Secretary Duncan's office today to urge him to hold the
competition and preserve the program.

Under the FY 2011 budget passed by the Congress, Secretary Duncan has the
discretion to hold a competition for the development, production and
distribution of educational materials in accessible formats to students with
visual impairments and other print disabilities. The US Department of
Education has supported this project for more than 30 years, and President
Obama included it in his FY 2011 budget plan. Now the Secretary might use
these funds for other projects!

The Secretary needs to hear from you today to prevent the shifting of funds
away from this vital program.

The Secretary might make his decision as soon as the end of the week so we
need you to e-mail him today. Your voice and that of hundreds of other
supporters urged the Congress to preserve the funding in the budget, and
Congress heard you and took action. Now we need your voice to urge Secretary
Duncan to preserve the funding for accessible materials and to hold the
competition.

Hundreds of thousands of students benefit from this program each year and if
the Secretary does not fund it this year its future is unknown. We need your
voice to be heard again!

Please e-mail Secretary Duncan's office today. We have included the sample
language below to help you in making your e-mail. Please add your personal
story, name and hometown to your message!

Secretary Duncan's e-mail is arne.duncan@xxxxxx

RE: Urgent Support Needed for Students with Print Disabilities

Dear Secretary Duncan:

I am writing to share with you my support for the accessible educational
materials project and Learning Ally.

Learning Ally has a long-established relationship with the Department of
Education and has had broad support in Congress, state departments of
education and 10,000 schools from coast to coast. I urge you to continue
that support by holding a competition for the development, production and
distribution of educational materials in accessible formats to students with
visual impairments and other print disabilities.

Learning Ally is a critical partner in the success of hundreds of thousands
of students, and federal support of their efforts, leveraged with private
philanthropy, has made much of their work possible. Continue USDE's 30-year
commitment to students with disabilities and hold the competition.

Sincerely,

As we keep the pressure up on the Department with our allies in Congress, we
will update our Policy Advocates' Center
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=dpqs87bab&et=1105572670725&s=67383&e=001FfuQM
RzeCrgE35apgH7EpeV4eIanE_Lcwh_2fHiZuYNHIMggQgPdtEUoFbk_egAV5GmSoB5ZF8xZsol5n
6-S1ZA6rtgAdRdd237IjnwhS7-jup1klgh7BnH8VtIIOgOaReN1l6BvjAEpbJeCfOhFtG-piIuU5
Nh-FVS2-UsWcF7eWMUSUWdCNw==>  with developments as they occur. We will also
share critical Advocates' Action Alerts with you when key decisions are to
be made.

Your support has helped to preserve this program so far, and will be a key
to its future!

A national nonprofit since 1948 - LearningAlly.org
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=dpqs87bab&et=1105572670725&s=67383&e=001FfuQM
RzeCrgoNLPD4Cp41ENxAYtONei2WR27ECD2DzAKR2Awho93Nzs0dAPLzxDMpFB-ehiMYxLCUv8-F
Q0lRBy2krn5l6GLVda-McKw2wCfswIvlU9SUQ==>

C2011 Learning Ally, Inc. All rights reserved. LearningAllyT, Making reading
accessible for allT, the "Access" icon, Recording for the Blind & DyslexicR,
RFB&DR and all trademarks and service marks are owned by Learning Ally, Inc.

Forward this email
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=dpqs87bab&m=1101553811939&ea=
acorange%40comcast.net&a=1105572670725>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001K33QEjKvDIIHs3UwsZPI7A%3D%3
D&se=001mnFpl02yEmc%3D&t=001vmfB_5MdzRnRDawhwsF7gA%3D%3D&lang=001FCSs65SMrsI
%3D&reason=001y5KaVlBn7_Y%3D&llr=dpqs87bab>
This email was sent to acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx by advocacy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |

Update Profile/Email Address
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001K33QEjKvDIIHs3UwsZPI7A%3D%3
D&se=001mnFpl02yEmc%3D&t=001vmfB_5MdzRnRDawhwsF7gA%3D%3D&lang=001FCSs65SMrsI
%3D&reason=001y5KaVlBn7_Y%3D&llr=dpqs87bab>  | Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001K33QEjKvDIIHs3UwsZPI7A%3D%3
D&se=001mnFpl02yEmc%3D&t=001vmfB_5MdzRnRDawhwsF7gA%3D%3D&lang=001FCSs65SMrsI
%3D&reason=001y5KaVlBn7_Y%3D&llr=dpqs87bab> T | Privacy Policy
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .
Learning Ally | 20 Roszel Road | Princeton | NJ | 08540

<http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?llr=dpqs87bab&t=1105572670725.0.1101553811939.673
83&ts=S0619&o=http://ui.constantcontact.com/images/p1x1.gif>