• From: "Elizabeth S. Bowden" <ebowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TABI@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 11:07:29 -0400

Feel free to share this. I will send it to blindad and to trainer-talk and will
announce it in Tidbits. Feel free to put it on any other lists where you think
it belongs.

Thanks to the generosity of Jackie McBride of Brighter Vision Technologies, who
is letting me use a Talking Communities room at no cost, I am organizing a day
of free iPhone training and information, Saturday, 5 May. Here is what I have
in mind. We'll see if it works, or if it is needed. I hope lots of trainers,
and trainees, will drop by!

The day is divided into three sessions, two of which are of identical scope.

Sessions A. and C. Hands-on Assistance for Beginners:

Session A: 13:00-14:30 GMT (9:00-10:30 A.M. Eastern, 6:00-7:30 A.M. Pacific.)

Session C: 19:30-21:00 GMT (3:30-5:00 P.M. Eastern, 12:30-2:00 P.M. Pacific.)

Session B: Intermediate Assistance, General Questions of all sorts: 16:00-18:30
GMT (12:00-2:30 P.M. Eastern, 9:00-11:30 A.M. Pacific.)

More details:

Sessions A and C: Many people have difficulty with basic iPhone use, making and
receiving calls, navigating the home screen, and the like. The idea is to try
to get those users the help they need. Depending on the number of attendees and
the needs of each, we'll be able to help some in the room, while it is my hope
that some expert users will be willing to be present and perhaps team up with
frustrated users to offer some individual assistance elsewhere. If it turns out
that this sort of help isn't needed, we can answer any and all other questions
as in Session b.

Session B: this longer session is designed for a wider variety of discussion
and assistance. What is the best app to do so-and-so? How do you accomplish
this (slightly more advanced) task? How does iPhone compare to this or that
phone? I certainly can't answer all, or even most, of these questions, so I
hope that many iPhone aficionados and experts will be present to lend a hand.

Structure: Ideally, people will be present at the beginning of the session they
wish to attend. At that time, I will ask each person to detail his or her
expectations, questions and contributions. From this, I will create an agenda
and we will strive to cover it. We may not quite succeed, but we'll try. As
others come in, I will try to get your concern added to the agenda and your
contribution noted. This is all an experiment.

This endeavor will be useful, if it is needed, to the extent that people make
the contributions they can make and are respectful of the process.

How to take part: Come in to the room a few minutes before the session starts.
The room is at

The room

Your username is your first and last name, no handles. No password is needed.

If you haven't used Talking Communities before, you'll have to download the
free client, which the site will invite you to do.

Consider jackie for your needs in web hosting, web development training, JAWS
scripting and tech support. You can write to her, reformatting the below e-mail
address, at

abletec at gmail.com

If you want to communicate with me regarding this training/discussion, feel
free to write to dean at topdotenterprises.com

See you all Saturday!

Elizabeth Bowden
Technology Instructor