[tabi] Re: Driverless cars

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 20:42:32 -0500

Did you guys see where Google's entire development of driverless cars, all
staff and facilities, are being moved from California to Texas due to
California's "overly restrictive laws which prevent driverless cars from
being operated". (this isn't a direct quote, more the substance of their
statement).

It's very disappointing that they were unable to get California to even
consider changing their laws to allow for these types of cars.

On the up side, many cars available today have almost the same capabilities
being added to them right now as the car William took a ride in. They offer
automatic driving which acts like a cruise control but keeps you both in
your lane and from getting too close to the car ahead. Even years ago the
local Mercedes dealer demonstrated how their radar guidance system allowed
it to follow the car ahead at a safe distance, but automatically operating
the accelerator and the brakes so the driver didn't have to. And many cars
also add an automatic parking ability. These are all completely legal now,
and I think they'll be allowed to continually improve such systems; the
sticking point seems to be the requirement that there is a licensed driver
behind the wheel of the car at all times.

Chip