[tabi] Documentary Project

  • From: "Sila Miller" <silam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fcb-l@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 05:34:16 -0400

Good morning All,
I have received information from a production company regarding a documentary
they are doing and thought some others might be interested in talking with
them. I have pasted some information below and hopefully the attachments will
also make it through. Their contact information is at the very bottom of this
Thanks much and have a wonderful day!

A Jellyfish Smack Productions film by
Isaac Brown and Ana Paula Habit
Blind Color is a documentary seeking to illuminate Americaʼs racial
conditioning through the eyes of the blind. The film uses a combination of live
action footage and animation to explore the encounters of various subjects--who
are blind from birth--with race, color, beauty, and the visual world in general.

Discrimination is a present but intangible issue. In an attempt to give it a
shape, we are pursuing this project to highlight discrimination as a taught
behavior. Since discrimination is often determined by visual cues one is taught
to look for, we are interested in hearing the stories of how the subjects were
first exposed to physical differentiation and
racism rather than their personal views on racism itself.

The film investigates many forms of discrimination, including those towards the
blind community. To break stigma and preconceived notions currently existent in
our society, the subjects we interview are productive independent individuals
who happen to be blind but do not define themselves based on that.

In creating Blind Color we are taking an anthropological approach by
interviewing subjects who are blind from birth on how they first learned about
colors, beauty and race.
The film documents the extraordinary accomplishments, experiences and
perspectives of such subjects and presents them as a hybrid of live-action
footage and animation. The audience witnesses the subjects living a productive
life and sharing their stories while experiencing some of these stories as
imaginative animations. We intend to interview a diversity of subjects, and
match them to a different animator, creating a film with distinct accounts
visualized by multiple styles of animations.
How blind people navigate the visual world and their experiences with colors
and race are questions often left answered for many, creating false concepts
regarding this community.

Blind Color openly explores these topics stimulating conversations on
discrimination and disabilities, which makes it engaging to audiences of all
ages, races and abilities, including teachers and organizations that advocate
for inclusion. Besides film festivals and television, we consider this film to
be a great fit for museums and galleries since it has an
interactive element: the animators of Blind Color will make their animation
models available as installations so the sense of touch can be used to
experience the filmʼs animated scenes. Also, all visual materials will be made
available in Braille, and we hope to eventually make the film available for
free online so anyone can use it as a tool for social impact.

By choosing a community with no sight to talk about a subject based on visual
cues, we hope to re-create the shape of racism and discrimination, resulting in
new ways to view old issues. To achieve greater social and intellectual impact
we will present these stories in an artistic format that has no imaginary
boundaries (animation) with the intention of breaking
the existent notions our society has on racism and the blind community.

Ana Paula H. Habib
Jellyfish Smack Productions