[tabi] Re: Beware, You may not have total control of your email.

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:16:31 -0500

Darla,

Outlook and outlook express have this annoying habit of deleting some
attachments which they say "may" be unsafe.  this is really stupid, as
this is exactly what your antivirus software is for.

They do it based on the extension of the file.  I know .exe and .bat
files are deleted; and I think shortcuts (which end with .lnk) are also
deleted; that was probably what Wayne sent you.  if he had put the url
in the body of the mail message it would have been alright.

When I know I want to attach something which may be a problem, I rename
it, and give it a .xxx extension, and then explain in the email that the
person receiving it will need to save the attachment, and rename it,
before they can use it.

My work place has added .zip files to the list, which is a real pain,
and so you should ask, or not assume, that someone can receive a .zip
file, as this is becoming common to block them (because they can be
passworded, and so cannot be scanned for viruses).

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator