[tabi] Re: Beware, You may not have total control of your email.

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:07:01 -0500

this is a god point.  I often get emails or calls from folks who are
missing TABI messages, or having trouble subscribing or unsubscribing
(because both of those functions require a validating second email be
sent to you).  It turns out the spam filter from their ISP has grabbed
and held the TABI message in the spam folder.

even more irritating, the mobile interfaces we as screen reader users
often resort to in order to access our web-based email, don't interact
with the spam folders and/or the settings which control spam filtering.
this is because the ISPs are deliberating trying to keep these web pages
down to the bare minimum for cell phone users.

I have comcast at home, and I want to have them do my spam filtering, as
I find they are *much* better at it than my junk mail feature of outlook
2003.  this means however I have to learn how to manipulate the web mail
program used by comcast.  One important tip for comcast user: comcast
has a "lite" version of their webmail program (they call it SmartZone).
if you can ask support, or figure out how to do it yourself, you can
switch your account to the "lite" version of SmartZone; then you get an
easy-to-use webmail interface, which is fully functional for all the
features and settings.  it then becomes easy to click on the link for
the spam folder, and look at the email messages it's holding; there's a
checkbox by each one (before each message), and you can check each one
which is not spam, and then click on a button at the button which is
labeled to indicate that the marked messages are not spam.  they get
moved into your inbox, and the spam filter becomes aware both that those
email addresses are trusted, and it analyzes the content of those
messages so that it won't make that mistake again.

Of course, if you get very little spam, then you can just turn off the
spam filtering as Liz says, and delete it as it comes in.  it's often
not a big deal, and easier than logging onto the web mail interface; it
all depends on how much spam you get, and how comfortible you are with
complex web pages.