[tabi] Re: BACKUP SOLUTIONS

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:18:09 -0500

Governor,

I should add I'm much more in favor of using a professional backup
package, rather than a file copy utility like microsoft's sync.

The reason is I can't tell you how many times we get requests from
someone who says "I've been working on a very large document every day
now for a month, and I just found (some disaster here like "chapter 1 is
missing", or the entire middle section is corrupt", ...).  going back to
last night's file copy, which has just been copying the file on top of
itself on the backup drive, just gives you the same corrupted document.
you really need the ability to go back through backups until you find
one which has a good copy of the document.  my backup software which
came with my drive calls this the "time machine" feature.

if you've been using sync to copy your files to the same location on an
external usb drive, you'd have lost this documentby doing that.  this is
especially true for databases, which can become corrupt for a long time
before you are aware of it.

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange