[tabi] Alert! Coming soon to a TV near you

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:36:38 -0400

Hi all,
I apologize if this was already sent, but if not, one important item it
is a link to a site which is supposed to provide instructions on how to
operate set-top
boxes etc. in order to obtain SAP (the audio description) when available.
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 9:52 PM
Subject: [fcb-l] ALERT!--Coming Soon to a TV Near You!
AFB DirectConnect Letterhead
ALERT!--Coming Soon to a TV Near You!
July 1st Starts New Era in Described Programming:
See If Your Favorite Shows are on the List!
For further information, contact:
Mark Richert, Esq.
Director, Public Policy, AFB
(202) 469-6833
Beginning Sunday, July 1, the landmark provisions of the Twenty-First
Century Communications
and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA) requiring the nation's
leading networks to provide a combined total of at least 450 hours of
described video
programming per calendar quarter will come to life. Consumers are
encouraged to begin asking their local broadcast stations and cable
providers about
accessing the described programming to be provided. In addition, given
that information about which programs are to be described and the means for
description can sometimes be difficult to obtain, the Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) has recently launched a web resource to help consumers
program choices, the technical means for accessing description via digital
TV and/or cable set top box, and the FCC's complaint process for consumers
to use
to resolve network, station, or cable provider failure to put described
programming in consumers' hands. Visit the FCC's web resource at:
An independent but more memorable web address can also be used to be
directed to
the FCC's site; this more user friendly address is:
Congratulations to the many advocates and organizations who have labored so
for this historic expantion of TV programming accessibility. Our community's
achievement in this area is an integral part of our ongoing effort to ensure
people with vision loss of all ages can enjoy full participation in American