[tabi] ACB and WEIGHT WATCHERS ANNOUNCE ACCESSIBILITY INITIATIVE FOR BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED MEMBERS

  • From: "Sila Miller" <silam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fcb-l@xxxxxxx>, <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:29:31 -0400

WEIGHT WATCHERS ANNOUNCES ACCESSIBILITY INITIATIVE FOR BLIND AND VISUALLY
IMPAIRED MEMBERS
Broad-based Initiative Praised by Blind Community Leaders
NEW YORK, NY (June 27, 2013)
- Weight Watchers International, Inc. (NYSE: WTW) today announced its ongoing
initiative
to make its websites, mobile applications and print information more accessible
and
inclusive for its members and subscribers with visual impairments.
The efforts were praised by blind community leaders.
Weight Watchers has adopted the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
version
2.0 level AA as its accessibility standard for both web and mobile applications,
and has already made substantial enhancements to its websites to meet this
standard.
Weight Watchers has also strengthened its system for providing Braille, Large
Print,
and Audio versions of print information to members with visual impairments.
"Ensuring a high level of engagement and convenience for consumers is extremely
important
to us," said Catherine Ulrich, Senior Vice President of WeightWatchers.com.
"From
product development to the work of our dedicated Service Providers in meetings
rooms,
we are committed to supporting all of our members and online subscribers in
their
weight loss journeys. We hope that our accessibility efforts empower those with
visual
impairments to better manage their food environment and establish daily routines
that can become long-term healthy habits."
Weight Watchers worked with the American Council of the Blind and Weight
Watchers
members and subscribers with vision loss on its accessibility initiative.
Alice Ritchhart, of Georgia, and Lillian Scaife, of California, are blind and
love
the Weight Watchers program.
"We appreciate Weight Watchers' leadership in recognizing the needs of all
consumers,
including those who have visual impairments.  This initiative builds on Weight
Watchers'
tradition of outstanding customer service," stated Lillian Scaife.
"We believe Weight Watchers is the best weight loss program out there, and we
are
very excited that the online tools and print information will be more available
us as a result of this commitment," said Alice Ritchhart.
Kim Charlson, First Vice President of the American Council of the Blind, also
praised
the company's initiative: "We're thrilled that people with visual impairments
will
be able to take greater advantage of the wonderful tools and information that
Weight
Watchers offers. Like sighted people, people who are blind want to stay fit, be
healthy
and lose weight.  Thank you Weight Watchers for recognizing the needs of your
blind
members."
Weight Watchers has already begun making accessibility improvements, and will
continue
doing so in the future. Information about the initiative can be found on the
Weight
Watchers website at
http://www.weightwatchers.com/help/index.aspx?pageid=1396161
 .
About the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
The WCAG 2.0 guidelines are promulgated by the Web Accessibility Initiative
(WAI)
of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and ensure that sites are more accessible
to persons with visual and other disabilities. Many Weight Watchers customers
will
not notice any differences to the site or the mobile applications, as the
Guidelines
do not affect the content or look and feel. The guidelines are of particular
benefit
to blind computer users who use screen reader voice output or magnification
technology
on their computers and mobile devices and who, like some individuals with
mobility
impairments, rely on a keyboard instead of a mouse for navigation.
The W3C is an international community that develops open standards to ensure the
long-term growth of the Web. The Web Accessibility Initiative is a program of
the
W3C that works with site owners, developers, people with disabilities and other
interested
parties to develop accessibility standards. More information available at
w3.org/WAI.
About Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Weight Watchers International, Inc. is the world's leading provider of weight
management
services, operating globally through a network of Company-owned and franchise
operations.
Weight Watchers holds over 40,000 meetings each week where members receive group
support and learn about healthy eating patterns, behavior modification and
physical
activity. WeightWatchers.com provides innovative, subscription weight management
products over the Internet and is the leading Internet-based weight management
provider
in the world. In addition, Weight Watchers offers a wide range of products,
publications
and programs for those interested in weight loss and weight control.
About American Council of the Blind
American Council of the Blind is a national consumer-based advocacy organization
working on behalf of blind and visually impaired Americans throughout the
country,
with members organized through seventy state and special interest affiliates.
ACB
is dedicated to improving the quality of life, equality of opportunity and
independence
of all people who have visual impairments. Its members and affiliated
organizations
have a long history of commitment to the advancement of policies and programs
which
will enhance independence for people who are blind and visually impaired. More
information
about ACB can be found by visiting www.acb.org.
Contact
Weight Watchers