[swag] Re: CMS or not to CMS.....

  • From: Derek Jones <algorithm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: swag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 16:50:51 -0500

Replying to my own message, hehe. Ok, 2.5 hours later, I'm not sure I agree with myself. It's definitely one option, but I'm having a bit of luck with one of the CMS's. I still feel that a CMS will probably require that we all be a little flexible in what our desires for the site's look and feel to be, but will allow us to implement this quickly and effectively.

Derek Jones
-Nafai

On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 02:21 PM, Derek Jones wrote:

Ok, I've gone from a newbie to an overinformed newbie, hehe. But here is my conclusion with CMS's:

I think we need our own. Now before everyone groans, hear me out. My reasons are:

(a) If we go ahead and design the look and feel of the site (aka Chris C and others generating html using Dreamweaver or other tools of choice), I think we'll leave our trench and start making forward progress.

(b) I don't think we'll need as much PhP as the CMS's that I've looked at use, and we could tie ourselves to a structure / design that we don't like.

(c) with A and B going along, we could gradually add PhP elements to the pages as they are needed

(d) we would build our database for the galleries FIRST, and the PhP and web will be tailored to IT, and not the other way around.

That said, I understand the problems with this...we would have to solidify our desires for how the images will be displayed and search NOW, and we will have to come up with an easy solution for our Submissions department to add galleries and images to said galleries.

Thoughts?

Derek Jones
-Nafai