[studiorecorder] Re: selection problem

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 01:03:26 -0700

Judy,

I can only tell you my technique for making corrections as I manually go through files. I can correct things so closely that I can take parts of words and delete them, and leave the correct pieces of a word intact, so that the word sounds perfect.

I use the space bar to play or stop playing through a file. When I want to alter something--usually cutting something out, such as a background noise, my saying uh, um, sneeze, and so on--I can play the file, and use alt-right arrow to find the general area; then right arrow to go through the file and hear it in smaller segments; when I get to the beginning of something--let's say a sneeze--I push space bar to stop, use left arrow to play the tiny snippet that it's pointing to, and just before the beginning of the sneeze, then I press left bracket. I then press space bar to play the sneeze; when it's stopped, I press space bar to stop, and use left arrow to back up to the end of the sneeze; when I find it, I right arrow to be sure I'm past it, and then push right bracket; now the sneeze is selected. I then use control-x to cut it out. It's easy to left arrow a few times, to the point before the section that was cut out, and then play it back to be sure there's no trace of it. You can use right and left arrow while in stop mode to hear tiny snippets of the file, which is really handy if you want to cut a sound out.

Left bracket can be used right on the beginning of a section to cut; then use right bracket when you're just past the end of the section to cut out; there's a slight difference in how these brackets work; left can start at the start point, but right has to be one or two right-arrows past the end of the section you're working with. If you don't do this, you'll get the tiny part of the last bit of section you wanted to delete.

I can use this same technique to select something to cut and paste, or copy to another file such as a new document.

I've found that this technique only works if you have the view set to wave view, and not time view. In options, make sure toggles is checked (press enter on it if it's not checked); auto play on navigation should also be checked. In options menu, in settings, in the advanced tab, it's handy to have allow undo checked; also, for some reason, I have allow wave view in mp3 files unchecked.

Mary