[studiorecorder] recording question, answer from the experts

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sr" <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:57:10 -0500

Well, I have just talked with two people whose opinions I trust with
regard to audio.  They both uphold the theory raised in my last message
and here is what they say.  Sampling algorithms have not progressed
nearly as rapidly as the ability to handle recording at different
sampling rates.  So, the bottom line, to them, is that one records at
the final sampling rate one needs to use with a bit rate of 24 and then
changes the bit rate to 16.  Then, of course, there is the question of
dither and what kind of noise do you add.  That, it would appear,
largely depends on what you are recording and your ear is probably the
best judge there.

Other comments from experts lurking on the list?

Neal