[studiorecorder] Re: Radio Advertising Quality recording.

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 18:36:24 -0500

I use a combination headset microphone and the quality is very good.  There
are plusses and minus with using these.  One, they don't pick up as much
room noise in that you are close enough to the microphone that the signal is
often much higher than either the microphone pre-amplifier noise or the
background noise.  Two, they pick up a lot more breathing and a lot of mouth
sounds especially if they are a good microphone.  Curtis is right about
their quality.  They are not as good as microphones people use in studios,
but there are also microphones that are similar but a step up from the norm.
There are microphones like this that on stage performers use that fit over
their ears.  Likely, it will just be a microphone and not a headphone.  Some
of these are specifically designed for vocal microphones and they are very
good.  I haven't done a lot of research on brand names of these so I can't
be very helpful.

My unit is an Altech Lansing 302I.  The only problem, and the reason I
haven't brought it up until now is that it is no longer made.

But, if you have a good sound card, a quiet computer, etc., perhaps looking
into something like this might be less expensive by far than acoustically
treating your room, and purchasing microphones, mixers, etc.  This is the
way studio people go, and it may have to be the way you eventually go to get
what you want to get.

Neal

  _____