[studiorecorder] Interesting dip/rise problem

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sr" <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:25:42 -0500

OK, this is a long involved one that I will try to make short.

I have a file which, for the sake of discussion, we will break into
three parts.  The first part needs no processing.  The second part needs
to have a gradual 10 DB rise.  The third part needs to be 10 DB higher
than the first part.  So, we have a file which plays normally, then
increases gradually 10 DB and finally finishes 10 DB higher than part
one.  Here is how I do this and a discussion of the resulting problem.

1.  Place a mark at the point where the file needs to begin to rise.
This is just so I can find it again.

2.  Place another mark where the file reaches its 10 DB maximum.  Same
reason.

3.  Select from the last mark to the end of the file and raise that part
of the file by 10 DB.

4.  Go to the first mark and press left bracket.

5.  Go to the last mark and press right bracket to select the part that
needs to rise.

6.  Perform a Dip/Rise function on the selected portion of the file that
looks like this.  First percent 50.  First DB value 10.  Second percent
100.  Second DB value, 10.  Fade value is linear.

Here is the problem.  The file works just like I want it to and as I
explained in the beginning of the message.  The problem is that at the
second mark, where the sound just finishes rising and now continues 10
DB higher, there is either  a little break in the sound or a pop
depending on the frequency that happens to be present at that point.
For example, if I create a file with a 1000 k tone and perform the above
mentioned actions on the file, I hear a pop at the point of the second
mark.  If I try it with white, pink, or brown noise, I hear a little
break in the sound.

I can do the same thing in Sound Forge, but I have to get my wife to
play around with the fade envelope so that I have a 10 DB rise.  It also
is using a linear fade.  There is no pop or break at the point where the
volume finally rises to its highest point and continues.

Any guesses?

Neal