[studiorecorder] Dip/rise, now this is way way cool

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sr" <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:31:18 -0500

Rob, I no longer need the other two kinds of fades in the cross fade
module.  I was thinking that they would keep the little decrease in
volume in the middle of the crossfade from occurring, but that is no
longer happening.  Here is what I do, and it might help others who have
the same problem.

As I said, when I do a cross fade, I do get a bit of volume decrease in
the middle of the fade.  This is especially noticeable when doing a
short cross fade of about 2 seconds.  By the way, I have the trouble
with cross fade fading out a bit in sound forge, and while there is a
way to fix this, you need sighted help to first get it set up.

So, I do a cross fade in SR.  I used pink noise as an example so I knew
I had the same thing on both sides of the cross fade.  When the cross
fade of 2 seconds is completed, I am still at the mid point of the cross
fade.  So, I use the go to time feature to move back one second and set
a begin selection point.  I then move forward two seconds, the entire
length of the cross fade with the go to time command and set an end
point.  Now, I have selection points set at the beginning and the end of
the cross fade.  I then use dip/rise to increase the volume between the
two points so that the end result of the cross fade is totally one same
volume.  It works like a charm.  I have found that depending on the
length of the cross fade the mid point db rise in the dip/rise feature
may have to be adjusted to get a constant volume, but I can certainly
play around until I get it right.  It's like having a magic wand and
waving it over the file.  Nice.  Very nice.

OK, do you have enough positive strokes yet?

Neal