[studiorecorder] Re: Aditional request for SR

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 10:41:05 -0400

Phil:

You have a lot of questions; let's try to take them one at a time.

1. If one reboots a computer with an open file handle, I would expect
the result you got. So, no! SR should do what it does. Its kind of like
taking a disk out of the drive while reading it, but worse, because
there is no chance of recovery.

2. We could consider background decoding. There are a lot of issues,
and I don't know that it would be useful for that many people. A lot of
times, random access to the open MP3 file is really all you need; it may
not even be worth decoding.

Rob Meredith

>>> phil@xxxxxxxxxxxx 05/03/06 10:04AM >>>
Hi Rob,
While I was listening to an mp3 podcast that was on my wife's backup
drive
she rebooted her computer and I got an error message from Studio
Recorder
that the task was not completed.
After she rebooted and the drive was now available I hit enter to clear
the
OK box and tried to continue listening.
I still got the same error message. I was able to check the current
time
with g, then re-load the file and continue from that point but
shouldn't SR
have done that automatically?
I suspect that by SR streaming the file in a little at a time the mp3
can be
read more quickly than if it was all loaded into memory which Gold Wave

does.
We have a two computer network and her one is the server.

Would it be possible to have an option so that while I am listening to
podcast, in the background SR is also loading it into doc 1 or copying
it to
my computer?

Thanks,
Phil