[ssug-malappuram] Re: [MES-FSUG] Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick - TheCodeCracker Edition

  • From: "Manu Krishnan T.V" <tvmanukrishnan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:46:37 +0530

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM, jinesh kj <jinesh.k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> About the content, in iiit we have a kind of system. There are sme
> dedicated downloaders. Only they get to download torrents. Anyone can
> request for content over msgboard and it is usually honoured.
> Duplicate shares are encouraged to make sure enough sources are there.
> All popular movies,games,serials,softwares are made available almost
> instantly i should say. Other than dc, many like me run an ftp server
> too. So that content is available irrespective of my presence in dc.
> Jinesh

From the above replies, I understand that Raju sir and Jinesh supports the
idea of having a DC++. Is it the availiaility of storage space that made you
reach such a conclusion?

As far as I know, DC++ will need the node with the file to be ON, whenever a
person needs to download it, which is similar to the case of torrents. In
the case of MESCE hostel, if 'person a' knows 'person b' have the file he
needs, he can just go to his room and copy it in a pendrive or external HDD.
Atleast, this will apply for MESCE. So, p2p doesn't make much sense.

The current wifi settings at hostel are so limitted that only 8080 port is
now open. Setting a p2p network needs more ports to be opened and its going
to be a headache for CNC according to their current monitoring or whatever
policies. I came to know that at present, the network won't even allow to
access a web server running in one system by any other systems connected to
the wifi network.

Apart from simply file sharing, we had a plan to keep a local repository of
the popular operating systems, so that we will get a faster download time
for packages and updates and will result in less usage of internet
bandwidth. If its the case with low availiability of HDD space that led to
the idea of DC++, the current systems at labs have around 160/250GB. Lets
give that a try. Only we need is to get one of such system running all the
time, accessible in the whole college network, with atleast ssh and ftp
ports to it open. We could configure it in such a way that if a file is not
accessed atleast once within a particular time(say 10 days), it will be
removed to save the disk space.

Waiting for replies,
--
Regards,
Tvm a.k.a Bizzard

Find me @ Bizzard's Hackshop - http://www.bizzard.info/

Quote: I'm not a HANDSOME guy. But I can give my HAND to SOME one who needs
help. Beauty is in heart, not in face..!! - A.P.J Abdul Kalam

Our IRC channel #mes-fsug at irc.freenode.net. Webpage for GNULabs @ MESCE is
at http://gnulabs.org/mesce/