specurtin-committee Re: agenda

  • From: Christopher Coman <c.coman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "specurtin-committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <specurtin-committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:40:13 +0000

Firstly, when recruiting students on O-Day, and at orientation, we are
recruiting them to the SPECSC, which is a chapter of the broader SPE. We had
handouts for how to join the SPE, and will be encouraging all students who are
petroleum engineers to join the SPE. Our membership is not limited to people
who join the SPE but of course we will encourage our members to join. We are
open to non-petroleum engineers too, and it would probably not be in their best
interests to join the SPE, however that is up to them as individuals.

We, as a student club, are also affiliated to the Curtin Student Guild, which
comes with a couple of responsibilities, that being giving $5 discount to guild
members, as we are also a student club. There are no student clubs australia,
or likely world wide, that operate independent of their student representative
body. That would be foolish and cut us off from a source of local, on campus
assistance and avenues and pathways for advertising and cross-promotion.

Another point I want to address is "why SPE set us up"... No, we set ourselves
up with the assistance of the department. We are an independent body affiliated
to the SPE. We should realistically have our own constitution (built from the
SPE one) that dictates how we operate, and we are definately under the broader
umbrella of the SPE, but as far as they are concerned, they do not dictate our
actions or control the spending of the money that we raise. In fact, if you
read the information on the "exceptional clubs" page you posted, is is the
independence and action that we take as a student chapter that gives us that

Our main aim is NOT to get students to become members of SPE. And if you think
it is, your focus is quite limited. Our purpose is to be a representative body
for Petroleum Engineering Students at Curtin University, providing
opportunities for them to network, obtain vacation and graduate employment,
develop friendships and be able to contribute to their own education and
experience of university. Joining SPE is something that will come along with
this. We are also not focussed on having students join the guild, however we
are required (by our own affiliation) to give a $5 discount to those who have
joined the guild, since we are Curtin Students, and you personally are required
to join the guild if you wish to remain President of a Curtin Student Club, as
a condition of our affiliation, which we voted upon as a committee.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. I'm not angry by the way, but student
representation is something I am passionate about, and frankly if all you are
interested in is getting numbers of people to join SPE, you need to get the
attention off yourself and getting a plaque and onto the students and what
would make a difference for them.