[sotd] Revolutionary America! 1763-1789 [July 2, 2009]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:32:16 -0300

        Site of the Day for Thursday, July 2, 2009

        Revolutionary America! 1763-1789

Today's site, from the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum, offers an
exhibit exploring the American Revolution. Gentle Subscribers, feeling the tug
of
the upcoming Independence Day festivities, may enjoy this presentation detailing
the very beginnings of the Republic.

"Americans became the most successful revolutionaries in world history. This
exhibit presents this period in chronological progression through a series of
questions: Who were we? What was the problem? When did it happen? Where did we
go
from there? Why did it take so long? How did we do? ... But we all know how our
nation began ... or do we? Welcome to The Revolution! Our story is an
extraordinary
saga of a rebellion carried out by a unique blend of people called Americans who
forever changed the world." - from the website

This comprehensive exhibit examines the disputes and events which form the
tapestry
for independence in late 18th century British North America. From the tenor of
colonial life -- fashions, health, social interaction -- to the issues which
rankled the citizenry, such as taxes and parliamentary representation, the
exhibit
chronicles the history of the revolutionary period in America. Other topics
include
notes on the leading figures of the era and what became of them, the Continental
Army, and casualty figures. In addition to the text, the exhibit features
photos of
displays from the museum's collection of period artefacts.

Parade to the site for an informative exhibit on the American Revolution at:

http://hoover.archives.gov/exhibits/RevAmerica/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>