[sotd] October 7, 2004 [Lest We Forget: The Triumph Over Slavery]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:59:11 -0300

        Site of the Day for Thursday, October 7, 2004

        Lest We Forget: The Triumph Over Slavery

Today's site was created by the New York Public Library's Schomburg Center
for Research in Black Culture, to mark the United Nations' proclamation of
2004 to commemorate the struggle against slavery and its abolition. Gentle
Subscribers will find a stirring presentation that emphasizes the forces
within the slave culture which caused it to rise above oppression to create
its own destiny.

"Our concepts of slavery and the slave trade have been shaped by the iconic
images of these institutions that have been handed down to us over the
years. They are images of helpless, defenseless victims of unthinkable
cruelties, ... of shackles and leg irons, long marches and of bound
captives, and endless toil on sugar, tobacco and cotton plantations. ...
Though victimized, exploited and oppressed, enslaved Africans in the
Americas were active creative agents in the making of their own history,
culture and political future. Studying their lives can reach us much about
the potential people have for surviving and developing under dehumanizing
conditions; ... and about living, surviving and winning in the face of
seemingly insurmountable odds." - from the website

This Flash dependent site features topics ranging from "A New People",
outlining the diversity of the genetic background of those of African
descent, to "The Long March", depicting the artefacts used in slave
transportation. Additional sections examine slave labor systems in the New
World, the struggle against slavery, family life, religion, education and
the survival and development of an expressive culture.

Journey to the site for a compelling exhibition on slavery in the New World
at:

http://digital.nypl.org/lwf/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>