[sotd] October 7, 2003 [Scanning Basics 101]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 09:22:10 -0300

        Site of the Day for Tuesday, October 7, 2003

        Scanning Basics 101

Today's website, from programmer Wayne Fulton, offers an excellent overview
on digital scanners. Gentle Members either contemplating the addition of a
scanner to their ever-growing collection of computer peripherals or simply
in search of ways to improve their scanned images, may find this a helpful
guide.

"The main purpose of these pages is to offer general scanning hints and
tips intended to help scanning novices grasp the fundamentals quickly and
more clearly, and how to get started doing it. Frankly, these are the pages
that I was searching for when I started, but never found. ... I try hard to
offer usable answers to the very common questions that other sources
generally find it easier to skip over. ...There are a few basic concepts
... that will be very important to achieving the best results.  If you
know, it's easy. If you don't, well, those are the tools we have to work
with, and you should get to know them. ...  I have learned a few things
about scanning that I'd like to share, to shorten for you the same
puzzlement that I went through acquiring these details." - from the website

The site provides useful information, which begins midway down the opening
page, on evaluating scanner features, understanding video resolution,
scaling and resampling, printer resolution, removing moire interference
from magazines images, scanning 35 mm slides and system calibration.  More
advanced articles deal with restoration of genealogical photos, correction
of faded slides, unsharp mask sharpening and the use of curve and clone
tools. There's also a Printing Resolution Calculator - Scanning Calculator
and a short FAQ.

Swing over to the site for a great rundown on the basics of digital
scanners at:

http://www.scantips.com/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>