[sotd] LibriVox [March 24, 2006]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:13:37 -0400

        Site of the Day for Friday, March 24, 2006

        LibriVox

Today's site celebrates the original spirit of the Internet with its freely
available audio recordings of literature in the public domain. Gentle
Subscribers in need of mental diversion while painting a fence or enduring
the daily commute will find some of the classics they always intended to
read.

"LibriVox volunteers record chapters of books in the public domain, and
then we release the audio files back onto the net (podcast and catalog).
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for
free, in audio format on the internet. We are a totally volunteer, open
source, free content, public domain project." - from the website

Since its inception in August 2005, LibriVox has compiled a catalogue with
more than 90 recordings, ranging from the enduring novels of those
perennial favorites Jane Austen and Jack London, to the poetry of William
Blake and Walt Whitman. Many of the available recordings are collaborative
efforts, although some feature a single voice, such as Agatha Christie's
"Mysterious Affair at Styles", ably read by Hertfordshire native Alex
Foster. By using the American public domain cut off publication date of
1923, LibriVox avoids any copyright infringement. The recordings are
produced by volunteers and visitors are exhorted to lend their own voices
to the project. All that's required is a simple open source program and a
microphone; all recordings are in MP3 format.

Cruise over to this remarkable project to download a classic, volunteer or
both at:

http://www.librivox.org/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>