[sotd] January 25, 2002 [Picture Australia]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:42:15 -0400

        Site of the Day for Friday, January 25, 2002

        Picture Australia

        "Advance Australia Fair"

Since tomorrow, January 26, marks Australia Day, Site of the Day sends
particularly warm greetings to all Australians on the List and is delighted
to present this outstanding website.

"Revealing our cultural heritage through images from Australia's cultural
institutions . . . to discover our heritage as documented in pictures.
Through a single access point, it is possible to search the distributed
image collections of many significant cultural institutions, without having
to know where the images are held. " - from the website.

Sound a bit dry? Not at all! Australians seem spectacularly given to
understatement because this design from the National Library of Australia
is a marvellous site.

A particularly effective device for visitors who don't quite know where to
begin is the employment of 18 trails, which lead to specific topics dealing
with everything from Aboriginal Arts to Bushrangers to Australia and the
Olypmpics. The various trails note the number of images each contains,
while clicking a thumbnail image in one of the trails brings up the
full-sized image wherever it may be, with additional information.

Enjoy an exploration of the many facets of Australia at this site for
"[Australia] doesn't have coups, recklessly overfish, arm disagreeable
despots, grow coca in provocative quantities, or throw its weight around in
a brash and unseemly manner. It is stable and peaceful and good. It doesn't
need watching, and so we don't. . . . the loss is entirely ours. . .
Australia is an interesting place. It truly is." - Bill Bryson, from "In a
Sunburned Country"

http://www.pictureaustralia.org/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/list/sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>