[sotd] December 15, 2004 [Radio ID Tags: Good or ?]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:14:02 -0400

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, December 16, 2004

         Radio ID Tags: Good or ?

Today's site from those dependable folks at the Why Files, takes a serious
look at the increasing use of radio ID implants. Gentle Subscribers who may
have missed their stealthy infiltration into more than Fluffy the dog or
Brutus the cat, may be surprised by how widespread their implementation is
becoming.

"What's your name? What's your number? Are you legit? Counterfeit?
Silently, invisibly, the scanner broadcasts its radio signal, and the tag
responds: I am product #3439887349787958738. Or: I am a Holstein cow who
lives at Farmer John's. Or: My name is Scribo von Alphabeticus. ... This
silent radio conversation occurs between a reader and a tiny, cheap radio
ID tag on the product -- or in the arm of the human being." - from the
website

The site's introduction highlights the growing ubiquity of Radio Frequency
ID tags, before moving on to explain how the active and passive types of
tags work. The exhibit reveals those government agencies and commercial
enterprises advocating their use, along with the pros and cons of their
roles. From inventory tracking, to passport verification to keeping tabs on
livestock, the discussion suggests that Radio ID tags may eventually find
their way into many niches. As always with a Why Files presentation, there
are helpful diagrams, fascinating sidebars and links on the topic.

Sidle over to the site for a riveting presentation on this technological
device at:

http://whyfiles.org/212elect_ID/index.html

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>