[sotd] April 9, 2003 [NASA Earth Observatory]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:42:05 -0300

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, April 9, 2003

        NASA Earth Obsevatory

The unassuming homepage of today's site merely hints at its dazzling array
of information and images. This exceptionally well-designed site is a
remarkable source of material about Earth, primarily from planet orbiting
satellites. Gentle Members may savor the outstanding breadth of data
presented at the site.

"The purpose of NASA's Earth Observatory is to provide a freely-accessible
publication on the Internet where the public can obtain new satellite
imagery and scientific information about our home planet. The focus is on
Earth's climate and environmental change. In particular, we hope our site
is useful to public media and educators. Any and all materials published on
the Earth Observatory are freely available for re-publication or re-use,
except where copyright is indicated. We ask that NASA's Earth Observatory
be given credit for its original materials." - from the website

The principle emphasis of the site is its presentation of stunning Earth
photography accompanied by explanatory text. Under the categories of
Natural Hazards, Chemistry in the Sunlight, The Human Footprint and How On
Earth, it offers a selection of fascinating current articles. Additional
material is covered under the general topics of atmosphere, oceans, land,
energy and life. In the Visible Earth section, a new collection of Earth
imagery is available.

Gentle Members seeking to elevate their thoughts to lofty realms may
acquire the amazingly beautiful image of the "Blue Marble" Earth as desktop
wallpaper, available in a variety of resolutions and with both eastern and
western hemispheric views. This graphic alone makes a visit to this website
worthwhile.

These brief comments barely scratch the surface of this outstanding website
which deserves a bookmark in the science reference category.

Soar to the website for incomparable earth images and features at:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>