[sotd] April 2, 2003 [Physics Central]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:53:08 -0400

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, April 2, 2003

        Physics Central

Today's site from the American Physical Society may surprise Gentle Members
who have but the mildest interest in physics by its splendid presentation
of topics germane to that branch of science. Designed to intrigue both the
student and the "interested bystander", Physics Central is an excellent
illustration of how the web can make science accessible to the public.

"With Physics Central, we communicate the excitement and importance of
physics to everyone. We invite you to visit our site every week to find out
how physics is part of your world. We'll answer your questions on how
things work and keep you informed with daily updates on physics in the
news. We'll describe the latest research and the people who are doing it
and, if you want more, where to go on the web. . . So stick with us. It's a
big, interesting world out there, and we look forward to showing you
around." - from the website

This searchable site provides sections on how physics relates to the
everyday world in its "Physics News" - a current highlight focuses on
baseball and physics - as well as an "Ask a Physicist", essays from
physicist authors and a "Physics in Action" feature. Not to be missed is
the "Physics in Pictures", with its gallery of stunning images, accompanied
by explanatory text.

Accelerate to the website for a great presentation of physics topics at:

http://www.physicscentral.org/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>