[sotd] 5 Logical Fallacies That Make You Wrong More Than You Think [December 9, 2011]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 10:09:06 -0400

        Site of the Day for Friday, December 9, 2011

        5 Logical Fallacies That Make You Wrong More Than You Think

Today's site, from the irreverent folks at Cracked.com, offers an enlightening
interpretation on the shortcomings of the human brain. Gentle Subscribers will
discover a snappy rundown of some surprisingly up-to-date scientific findings on
the ways rational arguments can be summarily dismissed.

"The Internet has introduced a golden age of ill-informed arguments. You can't
post
a video of an adorable kitten without a raging debate about pet issues spawning
in
the comment section. These days, everyone is a pundit. But with all those
different
perspectives on important issues flying around, you'd think we'd be getting
smarter
and more informed. Unfortunately, the very wiring of our brains ensures that all
these lively debates only make us dumber and more narrow-minded. For instance
..."
- from the website

Written in the site's characteristically breezy prose, this spirited article
serves
up five concepts that generally are ignored during most discussions. Among these
misconceptions are those which can be attributed to a primitive understanding of
the laws of probability, a lack of trust in fellow human beings and the
fundamental
attribution error -- in other words, a double standard with respect to common
human
failings -- "I'm casual; she's messy; he's a slob". Additional fallacies include
the irritating confirmation bias and the implacable argumentative theory of
reasoning.

Slip over to the site for an animated and entertaining look at ways humans get
it
wrong at:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-logical-fallacies-that-make-you-wrong-more-th
an-you-think.html#ixzz1exuIkKOh

If the above URL wraps in your e-mail client, enter it all on one line in your
browser or use this TinyURL:

http://tinyurl.com/d99fga8

  A.M. Holm
  Comments? Suggestions?  <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>