[soapcraft] Re: Soap stories

OK here's me

Why did you start to make soap?
I saw what was out there and thought it was cool.  I had purchased some
Villainess soap and liked it but it didn't totally spin my wheels so I
started researching and thought "I can do that".
As someone with a science background the process interests me as well.  Melt
and pour does not interest me at all although I am considering incorporating
M&P in my CP soap as swirls.

Did you have assistance (I know Mandy has a mentor) or are you entirely self
taught?
Self taught.  Lots and lots of web research and then giving it a go.  My
very first batch of soap got super hot and ended up really hard and dry
around the edges but lathered like a dream.  My current recipe is so much
better and little more middle of the road.

What are your inspirations?
Even though I wear a suit and tie for work I am a goth at heart.  My soaps
are inspired from literature, music, mythology and gothic icons as well as
memories.  I love blending the scent and incorporating it into the soap with
a colour/effect I think is appropriate.   Love the scent of dirt, grass,
dandelions, daisies, seaweed, salt water, leather, bourbon vanilla,
magnolia, Narcissus, angels trumpet, hay, sawdust, pear and so much more.  I
am trying to find a fragrance oil that smells of hot concrete just as it
starts raining!

What resources do you use (books, web searches, The Dish, etc)?
Web, The Dish, Soap Maker

Have you had or do you have the opportunities to pass on your knowledge (do
you take classes, etc)?
A little bit.  Mainly friends and family that are curious about the process.

What is the one most important property of soap for you (please exclude
cleaning properties!)?
I'd like to say the total experience - texture, scent, colour, lathering,
moisturising, scrubbiness but that's cheating.  For me it's a toss up
between the scent or the texture but scent wins otherwise I wouldn't, would
I?

Where to next for your soaping adventures?
Continuing my Greek Pantheon series (I have 6 queued up ready to be made but
don't have the soaping materials at the moment).  Will be doing some
sugar/salt scrubs soon and then some body butters.  Would like to try making
a salt bar.  Then room/linen sprays.

Ross