[soapcraft] Re: Soap Swap

  • From: Jenny Holmes <tinks2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soapcraft <soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:19:18 +1200

Hi

I've had a look at the Soap Calc. but am going to need more time to work it out. The exact amount I used in the recipe were:

Olive - 367 grams
Coconut - 125 gms
Caustic Soda - 68 gms
Water - 134 gms

Essential Oil 20mls Lavender
                           1 ml Patchoulli

Look OK? Glad that it should eventually dry and harden. I'm keen to have another go but just want to check the receipe out before I do.

Jenny

On 17/06/2010, at 8:02 AM, Soapcraft wrote:

A little extra water should not have made to much difference. Why don’t you run the recipe through the calculator on Soapcraft just to see how much caustic and water it would have said to use. Or if that’s to much tell us exact amounts of each that you used.

Anyhow it should eventually dry and harden and be fine.

gina

On 16/06/10 10:32 PM, "Jenny Holmes" <tinks2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Everyone

Thought I'd give you an update of my first soap making experience. I used your recipe Liz. I've just taken it out of the mould and cleaned up my pot etc about 36 hours since I made it. It looks creamy and dense but I think maybe it never got to trace as it's soft and sticking to the knife when I cut. The scrapings from the pot I found that I could form into a ball like playdough. I've read in the book that slimy/soft may be because too much water or not enough caustic soda. I was super careful with the measuring though there may have been 1 - 2 extra grams of water because the scales fluctuated at that time. I guess I'll just have to wait until a few more days pass by to see if it gets more solid.

Anyway I'm chuffed to have got this far and I'm already thinking about what scents I'll use next. May try Gina's suggestions. Jan thanks for questions about colours etc as I'm benefitting from the replies. I've read also that yo u can grate candle wax colours that you buy from craft shops Glad that your first batch has come out well.

Jenny

On 16/06/2010, at 8:11 PM, Liz Brook wrote:

Mandy/Louise,

In Ross's blurb he has asked if the swap soapies can be to him by 16th of August - this is so he can get them all repackaged and out again by the 1st September.

Liz
 <http://www.lizziebee.co.nz>