[slackintosh-users] Re: system requirements ???

  • From: Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:31:59 -0800

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 07:53:32PM +0100, =?UTF-8?Q? czezz ?= wrote:

> so far I have found quik-2.1-4.ydl4.ppc.rpm is the latest release and it
> belongs to Yelow Dog Linux distro. However I wonder how to install RPM
> package where I have no possibility to run any UX system on my "Old World
> Macintosh".? Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understood "Old World
> Macintosh" are able to boot only OS up to 8.x .

I think you are wrong: "old world" refers mainly to the firmware.  The
main issue with running something like OS X on typical Old World
hardware is that it's usually too old and underpowered (in terms of cpu,
memory, or disk) to handle OS X in the first place.  Many moons ago I
had Debian dual-booting with MacOS 9 on an Old World Mac clone (this was
well before slackintosh).  The process Marco describes is about what I
did: bypass the bootloader configuration, dual-boot with BootX for a
while, install and configure quik (which is actually nontrivial), then
you can ditch OS 9.  (I think most of the nontriviality was the clone's
firmware being flaky somehow, but I'm not sure.)

I second Marco's advice: build quik from source if you can.  The RPM
probably has a static build of the quik binary, but I wouldn't count on
it.

--keith

--
kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx