[slackintosh-users] Re: system requirements ???

  • From: "Marco Bonetti" <marco.bonetti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:34:26 +0100

damn, wrong reply, here's the mail:
-8<-
On 12/27/06, czezz <czezz@xxxxx> wrote:
I think that quik is this what I am looking for. Currently my MAC has got OS
8.x installed but what I
aim is to get rid of it.
I suggest you try both method. And, btw, if you make a quik package
and some sort of detailed instructions you'll receive eternal glory :D

so far I have found quik-2.1-4.ydl4.ppc.rpm is the latest release and it
belongs to Yelow Dog
Linux distro. However I wonder how to install RPM package where I have no
possibility to run
any UX system on my "Old World Macintosh".? Correct me if I am wrong, but as I
understood
"Old World Macintosh" are able to boot only OS up to 8.x .
AFAIK old world should boot up to OS 9 and linux, some of them (those
between the end of the old world era and the start of the new world)
should also boot OS X 10.0, the difference between old and new looks
like it's "only" the firmware version.

You should start with BootX in order to boot linux from MacOS, then
once you've set up a slackintosh installation you could try packaging
quik and using it. I discourage going straight with the rpm, maybe you
should try building it from sources.
-8<-

--
Marco Bonetti