[slackintosh-users] Re: system requirements ???

  • From: "Marco Bonetti" <marco.bonetti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:11:01 +0100

On 12/27/06, czezz <czezz@xxxxx> wrote:
I am regular PC(x86) user and I had nothing to do with Mac machines before.
welcome! :D

I have got some MAC machine marked as "Power Machintosh 4400/200". Is this
enough
to run Slackintosh ?
does it look like this:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/stats/powermac_4400_200.html
?
I think it's an old world machine.
The difference between old and new world  is the way the boot and
which OS they were shipped with: new world usually boots Mac OS X and
uses yaboot to launch linux, while old world should use BootX
http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/bootx/ or quick
http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/quik/ depending if you have or
haven't Mac OS (up to 9, no X) installed.

We assure binary compatibility for every powerpc processor out there
as we don't set any -march or -mtune flags, but we can't provide an
easy method to boot on old world machine as we don't have any of them
and really know not so much about them.

However I think one of the users here was able to boot slackintosh on
such machines, the base idea is to being able to install BootX or
quick on your own and then you can try to boot the install cd, it
should work. Then, once you installed all the stuff, you should skip
the yaboot configuration (it will not work, yaboot is new world only)
and find a way to boot into your new system, which basically means
change BootX or quick configuration files.

ciao

--
Marco Bonetti
Slackintosh Linux Project Developer: http://www.slackintosh.org