[slackintosh-users] Re: slackintosh for G5

  • From: Adrian Ulrich <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:56:22 +0200

> > i´m thinking of "porting" slackintosh to G5. Is anyone intresting in
> > slackintosh-64bit?

Uh.. hm.. oh..

Do you mean 'full 64bit' (like slamd) or a Solaris-like approach
(= 64 bit kernel, 64bit toolchain and maybe 64bit glibc but
 mostly 32bit userland)

?

#2 could be integrated into slackintosh without much fuss:
  Having some 64bit packages inside eg. /extra + providing
  an 64bit kernel would be enough
  (FYI: The -current install-cd offers a (gentoo's) 64bit kernel)

..but for #1 IMHO a 'fork' would be the best solution
(Like slamd <-> slackware)

> there already is some super-secret work in this direction in the -dev
> mailing list ;-)

Yeah.. $someone built a 64bit gcc on Slackintosh..

Currently neither of us (Marco + /me) is able to work on a 64bit port
because we don't have access to a G5 and eBay has no cheap hardware [1]

> the efforts on a wiki, or we could just put the noise down here :D

A wiki would be cool but wouldn't be easy to setup because
workaround.ch doesn't run a normal httpd (no apache + co) ;-)

 -- Adrian

1:

http://cgi.ebay.ch/Apple-Power-Mac-G5-Desktop-M9592LL-A-Quad-2-5GHz-Power_W0QQitemZ300021599017QQihZ020QQcategoryZ384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks good: ~300 Euro for an G5 .. but would you buy from an eBay
member located in China with 0 'reviews' ? ;-)

--
            A. Top posters