[slackintosh-users] Re: new kernel: suspend-to-ram?

  • From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:38:43 +0200

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 03:40:43PM +0200, Joost Kremers wrote:
[...]
> but now i'm wondering: should i really have said yes to this, or is this
> something that is handled by pbbuttonsd outside the kernel? IOW if i
> unselect it, does that mean i lose support for suspend-to-ram, or does it
> mean that pbbuttonsd starts handling it again, including setting the system
> time from the hardware clock after resume?

well, time for an update. i tried compiling the 2.6.23-rc9 kernel without
support for sleep mode, but that failed miserably. the linker kept
complaining about some symbols not being defined. (the relevant messages
were on the lkml in something that looked like a discussion of some bug,
but i didn't dig very deep.)

after 2.6.23 was officially released, i downloaded the release sources and
compiled from those. unfortunately, resuming after suspend-to-ram still
does not update the system time. so now i'm doing it manually: i made a
script restore-clock.sh in /etc/power/scripts.d/, created
/etc/power/resume.d/ and put a link to restore-clock.sh in it.

now my system time is updated again after resume. but i'm still not
entirely sure if everything is as it's supposed to be. so if anyone knows
why the system time was updated automatically with the 2.6.21.5 kernel, and
why this no longer works with the latest kernel, i'd be interested to hear
about it...

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments