[slackintosh-users] Re: new Slackintosh user

DAve wrote:
DAve wrote:
DAve wrote:
Adrian Ulrich wrote:
Hi,

Well I already had the 2.4.33.3 kernel sources so I started there. I had downloaded the kernel source pkg and install with installpkg, no problems.

Uh? How did you installpkg the kernel sources? You are supposed to
extract them to /usr/src/linux or so..

Ummm,

#wget http://slackware.mirrors.easynews.com/linux/slackware/slackware-11.0/slackware/k/kernel-source-2.4.33.3-noarch-1.tgz

#installpkg kernel-source-2.4.33.3-noarch-1.tgz

Is that not correct?

Seems the include files couldn't be found, I checked the /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h file (where the error occured) and at the referenced line I see this,

install the glibc package (not glibc-solibs)

I did, pkgtool shows it installed. So I download the pkg and try again.

root@slacker:/home/dave# removepkg  glibc-2.3.5-powerpc-2.tgz
root@slacker:/home/dave# wget http://slackintosh.workaround.ch/pub/slackintosh/10.2/slackintosh/l/glibc-2.3.5-powerpc-2.tgz

root@slacker:/home/dave# installpkg glibc-2.3.5-powerpc-2.tgz
root@slacker:/home/dave# cd /usr/src/linux
root@slacker:/usr/src/linux# make vmlinux
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.33.3/arch/ppc -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from scripts/split-include.c:26:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:26: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

root@slacker:/usr/src/linux#

Hmm, I'll install the kernel headers, make mrproper, make menuconfig, make dep, make vmlinux again.

And we are compiling! I hope I am not being a pain here, but it's been a few years since I messed with Linux, just wanting to make sure i am not doing anything stupid. I appreciate the help.

Kernel built, modules built, kernel installed on the Mac, and I am booting the new kernel. I can see and use my cdrom, my zip drive, and my extra HFS standard partition (/mnt/xfer).

Wonderfull, now to go read up on X. I'm a sysadmin, I haven't dealt with X in over 7 years. I spend all day in terminal sessions, this should be interesting.

Success, it's been a good day tater.

http://pixelhammer.com/DAve/snapshot1.png

I have lots yet to do, but it is looking very favorable. Thanks everyone. I'll get something written up and posted next week on how I got this far.

DAve

Veterans?