[slackintosh-users] Re: new Slackintosh user

Mikael Andersson wrote:

DAve wrote:

So I mounted my linux partition and I can see the install, everything
is there. Now I can't get bootx to run it. I've tried setting the dev
to /dev/hda8, and no kernel arguments, also tried the same kernel
arguments as for the install, nothing. I try to boot and the boot
messages look good, everything is found, everything correctly
identified. However it stops at

"Freeing unused kernel memory: 184k init 28k prep"

And goes no farther. I do not believe it is locked as the keyboard
still responds. Still only able to boot using the Debian kernel.

If my information is correct, the step the kernel takes after freeing
unused memory is to add swap space. Does that give you any clues (i.e.
what did the addswap part of the setup report, have you block scanned
your HDD for physical errors, is there occasional hard drive activity
while the system sits unresponsive, etc)?

The installer completed the addswap and disk check successfully. I went back to the installer and ran the addswap again, no errors. I hear zero disk activity, but then again my disk has always been scary quiet.

As far as yaboot / OF goes - again, take this with a grain of salt, but
I'm pretty dang sure that if you've gotten this far yaboot is not an
issue, and I doubt OF has anything to do with it either as its main
purpose lies in bootstrapping the system - the Linux kernel, being very
portable, shouldn't pay any attention to some version or implementation
of OF.

That was my thought initially, but now I am grabbing at straws.

Thanks,

DAve

Veterans?