[slackintosh-users] elf32(bit) newer G5's need elf64(bit) installer boot kernel

  • From: nixchick <pcdataone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:58:08 +0930

Hi to all New (and "newer") World Mac Owners, & Linux on Mac Users (and our Guests),

Thank God !

At last we have a "Stand Alone" FREE OSS (open Source) Model Linux on Newer New World Mac's, a "BIG" thank you to all of the dev's involved, and thank you for allowing us to post on this Mailing List.

TO OUR CURRENT PROBLEM

Our problem is simple no self respecting latter day G5 based Apple will boot from a 32bit installer kernel. It must be a 64bit (also biarch support needed .... i think) installer supplied with the distro, and naturally the finally installed distro still needs the 64bit kernel etc.

More common results of the latter Apple G5 based PC trying to run from a 32bit kernel are:

1.) The screen changes to a whiteish colour and you end up in Open Firmware.

2.) Normally you will see several lines of text ending up with a text line saying " release stuck keys".

3.) The thermo fans rev up like a 10410 at peak revs "In your Computer Room or Living Room," at the end of a runway peakin' out rev's wise !

4.) The whole thing is then "frozen up"......

5.) NO further install of the distro is possible !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE ABOVE PERTAIN TO THE CURRENT ISO OF SLACKINTOSH

The above happens with the current downloaded iso .... sadly and unfortunately on our new (three month old) Apple iMac G5 17" LCD Screen PC ( with SMU Chip on logic board )

The SMU Chip aparently may control and or interface with :

Firewire and or USB and or timing settings and or Thermo Fan Control.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CLUES (for n00bs) TO AN IMINANENT DISTRO INSTALL FAILURE ON THE NEWEST APPLE G5's ( iMac and some PowerMac's )

a.) Distro is billed as Linux on PCC (not linux on ppc64(bit))

c.) Distro states it is based on a 32bit kernel

d.) Distro does not have biarch support

e.) Distro only supports the earlier on board PMU Chip ( NOT newer SMU onboard chip.)

f.) Distro exibits in text on screen an error reporting i2c dev failure

g.) Distro exhibts in text on screen an error relating to keywest_init error

h.) Distro exhibits in text on screen an error normaly the last line of text is .....

     <rebooting in 180 seconds> and then is frozen

i.) Distro exhibits in text on screen an error (after call trace text dump to screen ) normaly the last line of text .....

<rebooting in 180 seconds>
and then "does" reboot to the same error,,, over,,, and over,,, again, if, you keep the "c" key depressed, each time the G5 reboots.

Please Note: The above list is far from complete, but fairly represent about 3 (three) months of iso downloads and very short trials, by my Grandad Tom on "his" new iMac G5. (He's got something like 5 or 6 full AMD based full towers all dual booting win2k and fc4 and two new additions both notebooks as well running puppy linux. He and Nanna Anna are old *nixers from way back in the early 1990's.

You sure can download a "lot" of ppc/ppc64 distro's iso's in three months around the clock. We really have only 2 (two) left to trial i expect that both will fail !

COMMON POST SUCCESSFUL INSTALL PROBLEMS. (with "some" 64bit distro's)

1.) Mouse and Keyboard freeze at first GUI Login,,,,,, post a successful install on the way to GUI Desktop.

2.) Mouse and Keyboard freeze once GUI Desktop is reached.

The above 2 (two) problems have been repeatable with some of the Free Open Source Distro's we have trialed on our iMac G5 17" LCD Model over the last 3 (three) months.

WE TRIED.

Changing the wired mouse to various makes has "not" sorted the probblem out.

Changing the wired keyboard to various makes has "not" sorted the probblem out.

We are left with a pile of shiny side up hot and cold drink coasters !!!

That's about it folks !

We sure do hope you can help with a 64bit installer boot kernel version iso download, sometime soon.
Please feel free to posr a reply or any workaround to getting slackintosh to install on our iMac G5's.

cheers,
nixchick