[slackintosh-users] Re: airport extreme; appletouch; MOL

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 06:23:29PM +0100, Marco Bonetti wrote:
> mol is in -current and works beautifully with tiger :-)

Hmm, that's an interesting data point?  Can I ask some questions about
it?

--Did you (or slackintosh) apply the mol-rsync-tiger patch, or is it
direct from gentoo with no patches?

--Do you recall how the Tiger partition was made?  Can you send your
mac-fdisk -l output?  Here's mine (warning: long lines):

/dev/hda
#                    type name                 length   base             ( size
)  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1        (
31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2              Apple_Boot eXternal booter      262144 @ 64
(128.0M)  Unknown
/dev/hda3              Apple_HFSX Apple_HFSX_Untitled_1 50363880 @ 262208   (
24.0G)  Unknown
/dev/hda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 373912 @ 50626088
(182.6M)  Linux swap
/dev/hda5         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 slackintosh10.2    20000000 @ 51000000 (
9.5G)  Linux native
/dev/hda6         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 71000000
(800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda7               Apple_HFS tiger_test          7138560 @ 71001600 (
3.4G)  HFS

That Apple_HFSX is what concerns me: my latest best wild guess is that
my MOL doesn't understand that partition type.

Since I'm using 2.6.16, MOL from -current didn't like my kernel, and I
want to stay with 2.6.16 to keep my AE working at better than 1Mbps.  So
I'm trying to figure out how to build my own MOL that'll work with some
Tiger.  If I need to reinstall OS X on an Apple_HFS partition, I can do
that (it didn't fit onto hda7), but it'd be nice to know how necessary
it is; if MOL works for you with an Apple_HFSX partition, then I know
I'm doing something wrong on my end.

--keith

--
kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx