[slackintosh-users] Re: Problem with slackintosh current

  • From: Thorsten Johannvorderbrueggen <thorsten.johannvorderbrueggen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:55:48 +0200

Hello Adrian,

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:22:48 +0200
Adrian Ulrich <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Problem: On my Mac Mini i have normaly 2 installations. After an update of
> > one installation to current
> > (10.2 to current via slapt-get), the complete partition table was empty!
>
> * Did you also upgrade the kernel?
Yep.
> * Any syslog messages?
No.

> > Yes, total empty, no entry in mac-fdisk.
>
> ..and mac-fdisk reported the correct geometry/size of the drive?
Yes, but i have to reinit the hd.

> Maybe you just used the wrong device file:
>
> The PowerPC kernel has a setting that forces swapping hda <-> hdc
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_ATA100FIRST).
>
> So /dev/hda will be your harddrive IF CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_ATA100FIRST is
> set to 'y'.
> If CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_ATA100FIRST is disabled, /dev/hdc should be the
> harddrive.
>
> (Marco: The -current kernel is configured with
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_ATA100FIRST=y .. correct? :-) )
The upgrade works fine! After the reboot, the funny apple logo come and nothing
more --> I tried to install mac os after the crash, but he couldn´t install any
partiotion. I checked the partion table with mac-fdisk of installation disk -->
no partitions.

> > So, i´d like to ask, if someone else had a similar "experience".
>
> I'm running -current since months on my minimac without any problems and i
> can't
> imagine how a package would be able to drop the partition table.
That´ s the funny think! I have no idea, why this happens, but it happens (3
times). There´se only a 10.2 installation will all extra/testing packages and i
upgrade via slapt-get to current. After upgrade i installed the "missing"
packages --> acl ...! Nothing else.

Have you installed all packages on your mac mini?

> --
> Stop arguing with the expert.
> Do "postsuper -r" or stop complaining.
>   Wietse Venema (<20060402135900.F2CCEBC193@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)