[slackintosh-users] Re: OpenOffice.org 2.2.1

On 9/4/07, Marco Bonetti <marco.bonetti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/4/07, Jan Geldmacher <janwge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What I meant was, that compiling OO without JAVA resulted (for me) in
> > not-working save-dialog, while building it against JAVA resulted in
> > working save-dialog. But I don't know if the jre is required for
> > running OO...

I don't think it's necessary to run. The only thing that didn't work in the
original Slackintosh 12 package was saving newly created document in .odX
file format, but with the package I've built I can save them even with java
disabled. Obviously you can't use OOo script language without it, but I
think it's the only feature that requires run-time java support.

so looks like java is a build dependency, we've to drop OOo out of /extra

I don't think I understand very well... You are saying that, because of the
"evil" java, we can't offer no more OOo in the official cd/dvd?

could you and marco merge your wonderful works and provide a full
> stable set of packages for slackintosh?

I think it's a good idea. I didn't remove sources and building, so I can
easly change some configure options and/or add some features.

Aboslutely needed: instead of doing link magic inside doinst.sh
> (which, by the way, breaks upon package removal (yeah, yeah, I know:
> WE are doing this)) use profile.d scripts, like qt:
> http://workaround.ch/pub/slackintosh/12.0/source/l/qt/profile.d/

I'll take a look.

Optional: if possible, could you split localization files from main
> binary? would be wonderful to have OOo_en as main tgz and specific
> locales tgz which install over the choosen language support.

I think it's possible, since other distros such as Ubuntu/Debian, Mandriva,
YellowDog, etc..., if I'm not wrong, split OOo in a series of packages
(somehow too much for me!). But localized version (I was already thinking to
Italian one) it's a must-have in my opinion.

OOo is pretty an important package and lacks binary powerpc support,
> building those tgz could make an extraordinary oppurtunity to help and
> grow not only us but for the whole linux/ppc community.

Yes, yes! I totally agree.

Marco