[slackintosh-users] Re: Any testers?

  • From: John B <johnb316@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:08:32 -0400

Derek,

I have a B&W G3 PowerMac which I'm willing to use as a testing box. The only
request I would make when building the installer kernels is that support be
added for using ATA and SATA hard drive adapters in PCI card format. I had
tried to install an older version of Slackintosh on the box but was unable
to do so, because the installer would not recognize the ACARD ATA hard drive
adapter I have on the box. As a result, I ended up installing Debian 5.0.6,
where the installer recognized my ACARD adapter. However, I would like to
get rid of Debian because I don't like the way that it segregates
development headers from the rest of the package for any given package.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Derek B <derekb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> -Recent versions of the browsers do not compile on ppc.  I use midori,
> but maybe omitting seamonkey and firefox takes the project too far from
> mainline Slackware

There is a project that has gotten Firefox 4.0 betas to build on
PPC-equipped Macs running OS X 10.4 and 10.5. The TenFourFox project home
page is at http://www.floodgap.com/. I would give a deeper URL, but the
firewall at the office is blocking the site because it is a "personal page."
Maybe some of that porter's efforts may end up working on PPC Linux? It
would be worth trying. At worst we would be stuck with FF 3. At best, we
could get working versions of FF4.

I also think it would be worth the effort to get seamonkey to build on PPC
Linux, but that's just me. ;-)

> -KDE (specifically, soprano) requires Java, and I don't know how to make
> that work.  ArchPPC has a HOWTO on building IcedTea JDK...has anyone
> built KDE4 for Slackintosh?

Another option for building soprano would be to use the IBM JDK for PPC
Linux. The only issue is that IBM doesn't allow redistribution of its JDK or
JRE (why, I don't know, but that's another issue for another time). The
other issue is whether the JRE from the JDK is a build-time or run-time
dependency.

> -A recent OpenOffice is available for PPC, but LibreOffice is not.
> Slackware does not include either, of course, so maybe it doesn't
> matter.

I would think that LibreOffice should build on PPC Linux, since there are
builds of it for Mac OS X on PPC.

Just my $0.02,
John