[SKRIVA] ARCs (NewScis blaska) tävling

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 19:23:55 +0200

Från ett utskick av ARC Magazine, den sf-orienterade blaskan från brittiska New
Scientist:

With just over a week to go, the second Arc/Tomorrow Project competition is
hotting up.

In Arc we asked you to write a story about how we'll look, feel and behave in
the near future. Will medical

advances transform us; will environmental catastrophe narrow our options? Will
our ideas of virtue and happiness shift to meet the
future, or are these the constants by which we navigate our ever-changing world?

The winning story earns its writer £500  and will be published in Arc .... Five
runners-up will each win

£200.. The six finalists will also appear on the Tomorrow Project website.

Since we're after stories over ,,00  words, this is pretty much the last call
(entries close tth July): if you haven't begun your story yet, start now! Our
address for submissions is:
 arc.submittable.com/submit

The standard of entries so far is as high as those we received for our first
competition, and if you haven't read our runners-up yet, you're missing a treat.

18% Happier, by Adrian Ellis, whose protagonist books a session with "The
Future On-line Therapy Avatar" - and learns

more about himself, his girlfriend, and his disgust with technology than he
bargained for.

In A Private Party by Peter Dennis, the lingering online profiles of the dearly
departed manifest themselves as artificially intelligent personas, and Nikol
faces his worst nightmare: a rogue Sponge.

A. J. Ponder's love-struck hero, Piri, sets out to accomplish the impossible -
killing himself - in Dying for the Record.

In Tom Chatfield's Before They Were Killed, a lonely woman who is not quite
human paints a picture of a world where two races, the dogmatic Faction and the
rationalist Guardians, fight against one another for survival. Her job is to
guard history, but with a
 mind bent toward poetry and whimsy, she questions why she should protect the
secrets of the past that have stolen her future.

And in Dave Darby's Inherent Vice, an American tourist braves the dangerous
trip to Madagascar in search of the most
precious and contentious religious artefact of all - a strip of celluloid film.

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).