[sjbiofuels] Pennsylvania High School Produces Biodiesel from Waste Oil

  • From: John Phillips <jphillips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sjbiofuels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nick Frazee <nfrazee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:13:18 -0700

Hi All:

I was browsing my most recent issue of *The Science Teacher*, a publication
of the National Science Teacher's Association (NSTA), and saw the attached
article about a Pennsylvania high school's production of biodiesel from
waste fryer oil from their cafeteria. It sounds similar to the FHHS
initiative. They even make soap from the glycerol and sell it in the school
store! I thought you might find it of some interest.

We are making small (2L pop
quantities of biodiesel at SSIS from fresh oil, doing some chemical and
physical characterizations similar to those in the article, and then running
it through my old Mercedes, so the students and their teacher benefit!

Cheers, John

John Phillips
High School Physical Science & Math
Spring Street International School