[sib-access] Re: keystroke suggestion dear Dan,

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:22:12 +0100

Hi Jean-Philippe,

Unfortunately is impossible to create application specific keystrokes which
override keystrokes which are assigned through windows.

The problem of finding keystrokes is a much bigger one than people think it
is.  I'm not joking when I say that Sibelius has 187 keystrokes which all do
custom operations.  That's Sibelius, not Sibelius Access, which adds a few
more of its own.  Just looking at the keystrokes for K alone we have:
K = key signature
SHIFT+K = Chord diagram
CONTROL+K = Chord symbol
CONTROL+SHIFT+K = change chord diagram
ALT+CONTROL+K = keypad window

So, if I changed the ALT+CONTROL keystrokes to SHIFT+CONTROL they'd clash
with the ones in Sibelius.  Besides which, you can bet money on the fact
that someone out there will be using CONTROL+SHIFT keystrokes to launch
applications.

Unfortunately, Sibelius does not allow for keystrokes which use the Windows
or Application keys, for that matter, you can't use these keystrokes for
assigning windows shortcuts for applications either.  In fact, JAWS is
probably the only application I've seen that allows for the use of the
windows key.

So if we're looking for keystrokes that involve the letter K we've only got
ALT+SHIFT+K and ALT+SHIFT+CONTROL+K left over and many users will want one
of these for Kurzweil.

It's important that understand that the keystroke in JAWS must be the same
as the one in Sibelius.  Even if it were possible to have two different
keystrokes I wouldn't do it.  It makes absolutely no sense to have different
keystrokes.  If you read a keystroke in a Sibelius menu, then the JAWS
keystroke must be the same one.

The one thing I can say is that the next version will allow you to change
any of the Sibelius Access keystrokes.  However, if you do this, then it is
vital to change the keystroke in Sibelius as well.  This means making two
changes, one in the JAWS keyboard manager and one in the Sibelius
preferences dialog.  To be honest, it would be better if people didn't do
this, because it will make bug tracking difficult.  It will also diminish
the effectiveness of the documentation which is aimed at keyboard users.

Speaking from a purely personal point of view, I don't use any shortcuts for
launching applications.  I used to, until I realised how much trouble they
can cause.  These keystrokes are processed first, so if you come up with the
wonderful idea of assigning CONTROL+O as the shortcut for Outlook, then
you'll never be able to open a file again without going into the file menu
first.  I have so many programs with huge key maps that I'd have to spend
half my day just finding a keystroke that isn't used by something.

I know that some people like these keystrokes, but if your aim is to launch
an application then you could just add an icon to the desktop, or memorise
the keystrokes that get you to the app through the start menu.  If your aim
is to launch an app without speech, then there's this little thing called
Windows Narrator.  OK, it's hardly a high end screen reader, but it does
enough to get you round the desktop and start menu.

As a note to other developers, there are some programs (mentioning no names)
which add a shortcut keystroke during installation.  I don't know if this is
an option which can be turned off during the installation but adding the
keystroke should most definitely not be the default choice.

STOP DOING IT!!!!!

Yes you read that right. Five exclamation marks.  The sure sign of an insane
mind.

Dan Rugman

Visit www.musicaccess.co.uk
The new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of