[sib-access] handouts for guitar students?

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:32:12 -0400

Does anybody else on this list teach kids who are new to
music-making and starting to learn notation?

Before I go about reinventing the wheel so-to-speakk, has anybody
else here come up with simple handouts for students?  I teach
guitar, mostly to complete beginners, so I need to develop handouts
that show things like the elements of music notation, then simple
melodies like "Mary Had a Little Lamb", a few bars of the Starwars
theme, "When the Saints go Marching In" etc.
I plan on showing these in tab, then notation with note names, then
with fingering and string numbers, etc.

I guess my main concern is how to lay things out on the page so
they aren't cluttered. I'm hoping not to have to bug the people I
live with by asking "so, ok how does this look?" twenty times a day
as I develop this stuff. *laughs*

So, what can I do to feel relatively confident that things are
organized and laid out in a clear manner on the page?  For example,
if I write out, say, a short melody like "Mary Had a Little Lamb",
but want to put more such melodies on the same page, how do I know
I've left enough space after the first example melody?  Do I put
the title for the next example as technique text, or some other
type of text?  How do I know the new melody will start on a new
staff, at the left side of the page?

Thanks for any tips.  I freely admit that I've always been a bit
pedantic about this, formatting documents just so, but I naturally
want whatever I hand to students to look professional.

Chris