[sib-access] Re: changing instrument names of a grand staff

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 23:08:22 +0100

Kevin,

As strange as it sounds, JAWS is reporting the correct information.  I
managed to crawl around with the JAWS cursor to confirm things through JAWS
but I've also run this one by Sibelius and a few other plug-in developers.
Tim also used his own delightful resources to check this as well.

The way it works is that the names which appear in the properties window and
in the mixer are internal names which are not displayed in the score itself.
The obvious difference is that the letter in brackets in not printed in the
score, but the more subtle difference is that if you change the name of the
staff then only the internal name of the first staff is changed.

The Bebop score actually demonstrates this.  The synthesiser is a grand
staff which was originally a melatron staff.  This is why you have
synthesiser [a] and melatron [b].

What I can't decide is how to handle this situation.  I could modify the
instrument names plug-in to change the name of both staves, which would be
more intuitive, however this is not Sibelius' default behaviour.  That's to
say, if a sighted user clicks on the instrument name and changes it then the
result will be exactly the same as the one which the plug-in is generating
now.

So, do we go with the intuitive option or let the rule of Sibelius' law
carry the day.

Dan Rugman

Visit www.musicaccess.co.uk
The new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of