[sib-access] Re: Urgent: problem with note announcements

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:14:15 +0100

Hi Dan,

I don't wish to put a proverbial spanner in the works, nor
teach granny how to suck eggs, but may I suggest great care
over describing what you and I might call standard keyboard
desktop layouts, especially in terms of where the keys
actually are?

For example, an American keyboard layout does not always
have a key to the left of the letter z, which is where you
find our backslash and solid vertical bar. (Though it's
possible there is one if a UK keyboard layout is set to
American)

Similarly, American keyboards have two identical Alt keys,
whereas our right hand Alt key is actually "ALT GR", and is
used to generate a third character for a given key, such as
ALT GR + top row number 4, which generates the Euro currency
sign.

This sort of thing has been an on-going problem, usually
with American developers.

George.