[sib-access] Sibelius 5.2.5 and Windows 7

  • From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sibelius Access List" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:26:01 -0000

Hi,

For what it's worth, here's a quick guide as to how I got this product
combination working.  I hope that this is useful to some of you who need
this scenario to work but, since Sibelius themselves won't offer technical
support for Sibelius 5.2.5 under Windows 7, Dan and I certainly can't, so
you're on your own if this doesn't work:

1 - I installed under Windows 7 Business Pro, 64-bit.  This version of
Windows 7 allows programs to run in various compatibility modes - I don't
have any other versions of Windows 7 to check against, so you'll need to do
some research to make sure that the actions described below are possible
under whatever version of Windows 7 you've got, or intend to purchase.
Please note that the Business variants of Windows 7 will require Jaws 11 Pro
licences, so you may have to upgrade your Jaws if the compatibility modes
are not available on the non-Business versions of the O/S;

2 - My Windows 7 build did not include connection to a domain controller so,
if you're in a corporate or academic network environment, I'd recommend
having one of your IT support staff do the installation whilst logged in
with full administrator permissions;

3 - I installed Windows 7 and made sure that all of my hardware drivers were
installed and working correctly before starting the Sibelius installation.
Additionally, I was logged in using the administrator account that was
created during the Windows 7 installation process;

4 -Browse to the (DVD drive):\Windows\Sibelius folder on your Sibelius DVD;

5 - Highlight the setup.exe file then press the Applications key (or press
Shift+F10) and choose the Run As Administrator option.  If you're already
logged in as a system administrator this step shouldn't be necessary and you
should just be able to press Enter on the file, but I was leaning in the
direction of paranoia during my testing;

6 - Work through the Sibelius installation as normal;

7 - Use the same method to install the Sibelius Sounds Essentials package
using the SSE_Setup.exe file within the (DVD drive):\windows\Other
Applications\ folder;

8 - Again, use the same method to install any updates to Sibelius or Sound
Essentials that bring the programs up-to-date (my installation DVD is V5.2,
so I have to apply the 5.2.5 patch);

9 - Go to the Desktop (Windows+M or Windows+D should achieve this for you if
the focus doesn't return to the Desktop after your final installation
operation);

10 - Highlight the Sibelius 5 icon on the Desktop and press Alt+Enter to go
into its property sheet;

11 - Press Ctrl+Tab to get into the Compatibility page of the property
sheet;

12 - You should be placed on a check box to enable the use of a
compatibility mode - it'll be unchecked, so press the space bar to check it;

13 - Press Tab once then use your up/down arrow keys to highlight the
Windows XP (Service Pack 3) option, though I think that this is the default;

14 - Repeatedly press Tab until you get to the OK button, then press Enter;

Installing the Sibelius Access files is very similar to what you have to do
under Windows XP, except that some of the locations have changed:

1 - You can rung the registry files exactly as before, assuming that you're
logged in as an administrator;

2 - The Sibelius Software folder needs to be copied into:

C:\users\(your user name)\appdata\roaming

3 - The Jaws files need to be copied into:

C:\users\(your user name)\appdata\roaming\freedom
scientific\jaws\11.0\settings\enu

Obviously, if anybody finds any additional tricks, please let the list know.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess
Raised Bar Ltd
Phone:  +44 (0)1827 719822