[sib-access] Re: Selecting one note in a chord

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:45:25 -0800

Chris wrote: I've imported a MIDI file ... It has a chord of G4 and G5 at
the first position on the stave.
I want to delete the G4.  The manual says ... if you want to select a
particular notehead in a chord, use Alt+3/.  I don't get what it means by
Alt+3/.

This is one of the problems with the PDF.  What the manual says is:

"If you want to select a particular notehead in a chord, use Alt+3/2"

What actually appears on the screen are an up arrow and a down arrow
separated by a slash.  This is because they used some kind of font which has
regular ASCII characters to represent arrows.  In this case, 2 = up arrow
and 3 = down arrow.  For future reference you should also note that 0 and 1
are used for left and right arrows.

To move between the notes of a chord just use Alt + Up Arrow and Alt + Down
Arrow.

Chris wrote: When I do this it just tells me I'm moving to voice 3.

The keystrokes Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+3 and Alt+4 are used to move notes into
different voices.  If there is a note in the voice you're  moving the note
into, the existing note will be overwritten so, be careful about using them.

Chris wrote: Using the number pad with num lock on and off makes no
difference.

The number pad with the number lock on is only ever used to change the
properties of a note.  EG: duration, articulations, tremolos, etc.  With the
number lock off it is used for standard navigation in the same way as the
extended navigation keys are used.

Chris wrote: Alt+F3 doesn't work either - this is the system objects
dialogue.

This shouldn't be happening.  Try opening the keyboard manager (JAWSKey+8)
and entering the keystroke again.

Chris wrote: Pressing tab selects both notes.

When you tab along or use the arrow keys, the top note of each chord is
selected.

Dan Rugman

visit the new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of
Sibelius Access.
www.musicaccess.co.uk