[sib-access] Re: Notation Of Scoop And Fall

  • From: "Dave Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Annabelle Susan Morison" <foristnights@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:42:07 -0800

Annabel,
I'm adding others to this thread. They may know more than me on this.

Scoops and falls can be attached to a note by going into create/symbols. Once
there, arrow down several  times until you hear technique and then pause and
you'll hear "scoop". arrow right for the "fall". press the spacebar on the
symbol you want and then tab twice to make sure you've selected normal and
staff. Then tab to OK and use the spacebar again. You'll have the technique
attached to your note.

I don't know how to apply this to more than one note and whether it plays or
not depends on your synthesizer.

There is information on this in the Sibelius user guide. That's how I found
this information.

  From: Annabelle Susan Morison
  To: Alison Trelfa ; Annabelle Susan Morison ; Cindy Ray ; Dale Lieser ;
Darren H ; Dave Carlson ; Ian Rattray ; John Sanfilippo ; Kevin Gibbs ; Len
Viljoen ; Mike C ; Neville ; Nick Dotson ; 'Nili' ; Omar Binno ; Ramy Moustafa
; Saeed Mirzazadeh ; Stacy Blackwell ; Tim Burgess ; Todd Houghton ; Tommy Win
  Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 16:40
  Subject: Notation Of Scoop And Fall

  Hi, it's Annabelle.
  I have a question for you, and I was wondering if you might have an answer
for me. For a wind instrument, like a saxophone, how would I make the "Scoop"
and
  "Fall" techniques? Like when you would slide up a few notes with a bend,
  instead of hearing the chromatic tones in between. I want to slide up from a
definite note to a definite note, with a bend. I also want to slide down from a
definite note to a definite note with a pitch bend. The problem is, I
unfortunately don't know how to notate this in Sibelius. I've tried
  Glissando, and I've tried Portamento, but it makes the notes sound
  really strange in the end. What do I do? I'll send you an audio example of
what I'm trying to achieve. This is a saxophone improvisation from my very
special version of "I Love Lucy", played by my good friend Josh Soran on
Soprano Sax. Listen for where he bends the notes, and tell me if that would be
considered a scoop for upward bends, and a fall for downward bends. And here is
the score that I've notated. This is a Sibelius Music File. Look at this score
carefully, and tell me if it looks right to you, as far as the Scoop and Fall
Markings. If you have any further information or questions for me, please feel
free to Email me at any time, as I check my Emails several times each day.
  Thank you so much,
  Annabelle
  foristnights@xxxxxxxxxxx